No. 4 - The Beekeeper's Bungalow
The original Beekeeper's Bungalow is a 1.5 story two-bedroom, single bathroom house featuring a sloped ceiling second floor with a master bedroom and reading or artist's loft that looks out over the front porch. A small dormer provides sunlight along the winding stairs. Much of the house was site built including interior doors, cabinetry, hearth, porch pillars, stairs, mouldings, salvaged hardware, and more. It features Mythic paints, Marvin Wood-Ultrex windows, Knauf Ecobatt insulation, Chemlink non-toxic caulks, adhesives and sealants, natural oil based finishes, and more. It was designed in the spirit of the traditional cottage bungalow and adds the benefits of efficiency and modern comforts. Other variations of this house have been built (and are being built) in both the US and Canada.
For accurate cost estimating try BUILDING-COST.NET, a *FREE* online tool. Material costs can be obtained by visiting a local building supply center with your plans and requesting a free "take off" for your project.
- Bedrooms: 2 (One up, one down)
- Bathrooms: 1 down (w/opt. water closet on second floor)
- Artist's Loft
- Peek-a-boo dormer
- Ceilings: 7' 10" Main floor, 7' upper w/ 189 sq. ft. > 5' 0"
- Conditioned (Taxable) space: 765 sq. ft.
- Main floor space: 576 sq. ft.
- Upper floor space: 538 sq. ft. (189 sq. ft. > 5')
- Overall dimensions including porch: 18' wide x 32' + porch
- Foundation type: ventilated crawl space w/slab.
- Print size: 24" x 36"
- Immediate PDF download with license
- Design criteria: 2012 IRC, 2009 WA State Energy Code
Notes & features: Dormer, loft space, first & second floor bedrooms, storage, covered porch, opt. rear deck, 2x6 walls w/2x12 floor and roof assemblies, superinsulation details, and more.