Review: BARR ™
Read this review in its entirely at Chem Link
A review about a liquid waterproof membrane… it's gotta be dull, right? Well, it all depends on your experience. If you're someone who's had to deal with many of the noxious products that go along with conventional building you might, like us, be quite interested in an article like this. I'm going to tell you about BARR™ by Chem Link, which is simply a non-toxic, non-carcinogenic concrete sealant, ideal for foundations. Chem Link doesn't stop with BARR, they boast an entire catalog of non-toxic caulks, adhesives and sealants. And let me tell you: these guys are serious about making good products. The only difference I've found between Chem Link products and conventional ones is that Chem Link products are safe to use.
Let's chat about BARR, the product we just put on the foundation of The Beekeeper's Bungalow. It's basically a liquid waterproofing membrane that goes on with, say, a paint brush or paint roller, and cures by exposure to moisture. Once cured it produces a continuous elastic - feels like soft rubber – seal. It's 100% solvent-free and is compliant with all known environmental and OSHA requirements. Although it has a slight odor akin to pine tar, it can be used without respiratory protection – even in enclosed work spaces. It cures to an elastomeric rubber that is resistant to thermal shock and won't crack in cold or soften in high temperatures – like many conventional asphalt or coal tar based coatings. The Chem Link data sheet for BARR specifies a surprising number of applications, although we used it simply as an exterior waterproofing agent for our concrete foundation walls. Like all of Chem Link's products, BARR has been tested and shown to be non-toxic and non-carcinogenic. As do-it-yourself builders who are exposed to the products we use, these are extremely important features to us. For all those contractors who are knitting their brows in doubt of a 'green' sealant holding up to its conventional counterparts, THE small HOUSE CATALOG will be the first to tell you – and show you - that BARR is in no way sub-par in terms of quality and performance. Barr is a superior choice for builders, homeowners, anyone in need of a good sealant.
- It's non-toxic for you – and others – and the environment.
- It's non-carcinogenic. You won't mind your wife (or husband and kids) using it.
- It produces a fantastic soft seal (even our foundation contractor – a professional who has built more than 150 houses – was impressed by the quality).
- It comes in various sizes – up to 5 gl. pails.
- It can be purchased online and delivered – or picked up locally by finding a distributor via Chem Link at 1-800-826-1881.
- It's easy to apply, all you need is a throw-away paint brush, a 1.5" nap and roller or a squeegee. We just used a brush.
- It's easy to clean up. It won't wash off with soap and water but it's not greasy and comes off with a little rubbing alcohol. A word to the wise: just be sure you have enough alcohol on hand – we had only enough for a one arm cleaning!
- It's low odor.
- And, lastly, it has a low-VOC content.